Chartbeat is a real-time analytics service designed for real-time action used by everyone from The Wall Street Journal to Al Jazeera. We're democratizing data by putting it in the hands of people who need it to make decisions and take action - right now. Just before our 4th birthday we moved into our own sprawling office in Union Square, Manhattan. We are packing it full of incredible talent. Thanks to years of hard work and amazing funding by some of the top investors in the world (Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Index Ventures, and Betaworks) we're growing, and growing quickly.
We're an eclectic team of circumnavigating polar explorers, coffee connoisseur data scientists, pint-sized Kansan product queens, triathlon-fit hackers and freakishly strong designers. We have opinions. We're expected to share them - right and wrong. And that's how we build amazing things together every single day.
We're a startup, and we all have a stake in the business. So we work hard, and we trust you to work the hours it takes to give us the best of you. We don't track vacation because you can either make a decision on that with the good of the company in mind or you probably aren't right for us anyway.
More traffic? No sweat!
Have you read our Backend Engineer posting? Because that's just one of the places we talk about our sustainable scaling goals at Chartbeat. Our traffic is growing and as we continue to build new and supremely cool real-time solutions, we want someone who knows all about low latency, highly scalable, distributed, and concurrent design. We're not looking for someone who knows how to install an OS, we're looking for someone who knows how to write the OS.
You're right for the job because you've successfully coded up services that wrangle lots of data and coordinate computation across hundreds of machines. Your highest priority is wanting to work with a team of smart engineers. You're ready to take on intense technical challenges and discuss the finer points of B-trees and skip lists. If that's what makes your brain tick, then you're our guy/gal.
- Architect, develop, deploy and maintain highly available distributed infrastructure services and maintaining services for storing and querying large amounts of data eficiently
- Completely understand and drive the improvement of our servers at all levels - evrything from the application layer to bare (or virtualized) metal
- Maneuver through and analyze our databases, file systems, networking stack, and kernel issues
- Experience building high-traffic, bulletproof systems
- Passion for managing large data sets and rapidly growing traffic
- Brain full of knowledge around Python, MongoDB, MySQL, C, Nginx, AWS, and Apache Zookeeper -- and that's just scratching the surface!
- BS or MS in Computer Science with a focus on systems engineering